Thursday, May 31, 2012

Flying through Ella Enchanted

When I left home for college and moved my already ridiculous collection of books out of my moms house, I purged the stacks of good young adult books that I nonetheless knew I was never going to read again. While they were good, enjoyable, well written books, I knew then that I had outgrown them. Ella Enchanted, by Gail Carson Levine, however, made the cut. Along with The Two Princesses Of Bamarre, also by Levine,  I simply could not part with it.

The characters and story had enchanted me as a 6th grader, and years later I still knew that stories of this sort were far too important to set aside. Through my high school and college years, Levine's stories were my guilty pleasure. They were lighthearted, innocent, and genuinely fun good reads.

Years later I picked the book up again and was exceedingly amused to discover that my middle school self had written  my name along with the name of my then crush and some stereotypical hearts on the inside cover of the book. I read almost all of the book in a single day, mostly in airports and on planes as I flew to California for my cousin's graduation, and I found it as enchanting this time as all the times before.

While my younger self merely liked the book and had no need to ask why, my (hopefully) somewhat more mature and intelligent mind now recognizes the greatness in Levine's writing and art. She masterfully weaves together a story very much of her own original creation with a tale as old as time.

Somehow she manages to take typical fairy tale tropes like fairy godmothers and magic and flip them on their heads, while simultaneously staying completely true to the story of Cinderella. With the expected evil stepsisters, greedy and cruel stepmother, pumpkin coach, and midnight expiration of spells come  dangerously persuasive ogres, gnomes that can see the future, princes that slide down royal banisters, and fairy godmothers that cook in this wonderful tale of a cursed girl with just the right amount of spunk.

Levine even stays true to the original tale's three balls instead of one. And the touch of naming the prince Charmont (Char for short) and the heroine Eleanor (Ella) is as charming as the prince.


No comments:

Post a Comment